Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Resizing and updating a fit and flare dress

I am back! I have finally sat by the sewing machine again.

This cute dress was two sizes too big. I had already begun the resizing process, when I remembered to take photos. Here it is pinned in the back.

- I took it in along the mid back.
- And in the seams at the front sides.

The dress was still too large in the area between bust and neck.

I decided to make a neckline slit. I could use it to remove some of the extra width, and the slit would also provide the visual separation of the bust, which is flattering when you have a larger bust.
- I cut the slit and removed a cake-piece-shaped slice of fabric.

When you redesign a neckline, the advantage of making a slit is that you don't need more of the same fabric. The slit needs a facing, but it can be made of a different fabric, as it will be on the wrong side, and only peek out a tiny bit.

- I stitched the facing on, turned it to the wrong side, and topstitched it.
- I sewed on hook and eye. You can leave it unbuttoned for a more relaxed styling.

- Lastly I shortened the dress by 9 cm (3 35/64").

I wasn't completely sure the neckline slit would work as I thought, so I didn't make a tutorial. But it worked perfectly.
So I will do the slit trick with another dress I have, which has the same problem - and make a tutorial for you.
More photos of the process on my blog: http://saga-i-farver.blogspot.dk/2018/03/formindsket-kjole-fit-and-flare-dress.html

Sunday, March 18, 2018


As in, Keep It Simple, Sewist.

This was originally a cardigan, and I had it sitting on Gabbi there for a very long time trying to decide what to do with it.  The sleeves were the problem - they stretched out and looked awful within an hour of wearing.  It didn't help I push my sleeves up a lot, but even so.

I came up with a whole lot of different ideas of fixing them: ruching, shortening and adding tabs, elasticising the cuffs... because I don't do sleeveless, I just don't like that on me.

And then it finally occurred to me - it's not like I'm ever going to wear this on its own, on account of it has no front closure (that's not me either!).  So if the other item had sleeves - good to go!  So off they came.  I tried unpicking the seam (nightmare) so in the end just cut them off with a 1cm allowance and hand sewed that down to neaten up the armhole - simples.

And sorry there are no before shots.  I did take some, but my computer recently died on me and the before photos are now missing.
Happy sewing!

Friday, March 16, 2018

St. Patrick's Day T-shirt

Hello Refashion Co-op. Life gets busy but it's never to busy to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I wanted to wear something fun for the holiday and my husbands Ireland t-shirt was too small for him so......

I decided to make the big blue t-shirt fit better and add some green sleeves for warmth. And green for St. Patrick's Day, of course. I cut the sleeves from this green shirt that didn't fit me very well. They are only 3/4 length but they will work for my new shirt.

I adjusted the fit on the blue shirt and attached the green sleeves. Very simple.

I was ready for the holiday to begin! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Thanks for reading, for more details and pictures go to I Can Work With That.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Denim Shirt

Hello Refashion Co-op. I thought the weather was going to warm up so I made a short sleeved shirt. (It isn't warmer, it is freezing where I live. I was freezing the day I wore this shirt.) I really like how the shirt turned out though. I am going to wait for a warmer day to wear it again.

This denim shirt was great, but the fit was awful. I knew just what I wanted to do.

I made the sleeves shorter and reattached the wrist cuff pieces back on the short sleeves. (Is there a real name for the wrist cuffs?) The result was a sort of puffy short sleeve with a fitted cuff on the end. I also made the shirt a little more fitted in the body.

I wanted a belt or sash to tie around the waist. I used these old jeans and cut 2 long pieces. I connected them and I had my belt.

 I liked how the belt cinched in the waist. The jeans had a little stretch in them so they made a REALLY comfortable belt.

I went out for a cup of coffee and that was it. Thanks for reading, For more details and pictures go to I Can Work With That.

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Sweater to hat & fingerless gloves

For a long time, I've been holding onto this grey sweater that didn't really flatter me and was starting to show its age. When my boyfriend lost his grey winter hat, I finally got my motivation for doing something with it. I told him I'd make a new grey hat for him!

I used one of my favorite of his beanies as a template, using the bottom ribbed portion of the sweater as the bottom of the hat.

Next, I cut notches into the top which I would sew together to give it a tapered shape.

After all the edges had been sewn together, the top was a little too pointed and had some holes, so I sewed a curve to finish it off.

Because I wanted the bottom edge to flip up, I reversed the seam there, sewing with the inside faces together instead of the usual outsides.

At this point, I found out I'd actually done the whole thing inside out! So I had to re-do it, but I'll spare you those details. Right before I finished, my boyfriend found his hat, so the new one is mine!

Since there was plenty of sweater left over, I made long arm warmers from the sleeves. I love arm warmers because they enable me to stay warm while still wearing short sleeves, so I end up making them a lot. I'm trying to get a collection to coordinate with all my outfits! Some day, I'll get around to a proper tutorial, but the gist of making arm warmers is usually:

Cut off a sleeve

With a seam ripper, open up a small hole near the wrist for your thumb

Then finish raw edges, taper if necessary to fit your wrist, and wear!